Be an ambassador for GO Weekend!
The Government of Alberta is committed to the mental, physical and environmental benefits of outdoor recreation and encourages Albertans to get outdoors through the designation of the Alberta Get Outdoors Weekend. This year that weekend is from April 11th to 13th. What are you waiting for? GO and Get Outdoors through April 11th to 13th and all year round!
Stay tuned for a free media package to help you promote events during GO Weekend.
GO Get Outdoors April 11th to 13th
During the second week of April, Albertans everywhere are encouraged to get out and enjoy Alberta's unpredictable weather for Alberta Get Outdoors Weekend. During April you may be lucky enough to be golfing or enjoying a pretty snowfall. No matter what the weather brings you are encouraged to embrace it!
Getting outdoors can offer significant health and lifestyle benefits associated with active living and outdoor activity. Being outdoors can also have a lasting effect on the health and well-being of the people of Alberta. And this is why the second week of April has been designated Alberta Get Outdoors weekend.
Try a few of the activities below to have fun and be healthy!
- Go walking and join www.uwalk.ca!
- Try Geocaching! Not sure where to start? Just visit www.geocaching.com for a short orientation!
- Walk your dog (or borrow your neighbours)
- Visit a playground
- Ride your bike, rollerblade or go skateboarding
- Play tag!
- Go birdwatching!
- Grab some friends and play a game: Soccer, Frisbee, football, street hockey, whatever you like!
- Explore your backyard and get in the spring spirit by taking out all your lawn furniture.
- Go hiking!
- Visit a local nature centre or connect with a local nature Club
- Move your gym routine outdoors
- Go puddle jumping!
- Visit one of Alberta's 480 Provincial Parks and Recreational Areas.
Check them out by visiting: http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/
- Join a cycling group! Outdoor cycling with group members or friends can get your muscles toned up and your heart rate going.
- Gather your lawn and garden tools, pick up a seed catalogue, and start planning your garden and yard work for spring and summer.
- Book a camping spot at a local or provincial campground; or, visit local or regional parks for some outdoor games or activities \Plan to visit the Rocky Mountains for day hikes or overnight trips. Go with friends, or join a hiking group.
- Do a maintenance and safety check on your outdoor gear, so it's safe for you and your family during the spring and summer.
Participation in outdoor recreation is good for us mentally and physically. Whatever the weather, just being outside in the fresh air can be really energizing and mentally refreshing. If you're out under blues skies and a warm sun, all the better!
As Albertans, we are lucky to have so many outdoor recreation options and locations available to us. For starters, keep it simple by planning low cost activities that don't require a lot of equipment; that way, more people can join the fun! For instance, why not plan a long walk or hike at an easy level, so children and adults can all participate.
Whatever you choose to do, have some great times with friends, neighbours and relatives on Get Outdoors Weekend!
For more information on Get Outdoors Weekend view last year's News Release or click here to listen to the Public Service Announcement! To see events in April near your click here!